Thursday, July 2, 2009

The occasional poem or two....

From time to time I plan to throw up an Afghan poem or two that could be relevant to our on- going discussions, may give insight into the warrior-poet mindset, or may be simply really good and worthy of a republishing....

Here is one from Abu Shukur of Balkh, written in the 10th century A.D.

A tree with a bitter seed
Fed with butter and sugar
Will still bear a bitter fruit.
From it, you will taste no sweetness.

Another, from an anonymous author:

A Pathan Warrior's Farewell
Beloved, on a parchment white
With my heart's blood to thee I write;
My pen a dagger, sharp and clean,
Inlaid with golden damascene,
Which I have used, and not in vain,
To keep my honor free from stain.

Now, when our house its mourning wears,
Do not thyself give way to tears:
Instruct our eldest son that I
Was ever anxious thus to die,
For when death comes the brave are free-
So in thy dreams remember me.

No comments:

Post a Comment